Russia’s Islam Makhachev finished the fight in the second round. Charles from Bronx, who hasn’t lost since 2017, crashes after injuring himself
The new UFC lightweight champion is Russia’s Islam Makhachev. In Abu Dhabi, this Saturday, the fighter defeated the Brazilian Charles from Bronx in a fight that was decided in the second round.
Du Bronx’s opponent proved his superiority from the first round. However, in the second, he managed to land a blow to the feet that dropped the Brazilian. With that, the Russian set up the katagatame, injuring Charles, ending the fight.
The loss ends the Brazilian’s winning streak at 11 matches, since his last loss in 2017, and his reign as a lightweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Makhachev now has the same number of wins as Bronx before the fight.
The result also goes back to Khabib Nurmagomedov, a name known in the sport for being the greatest lightweight in history, and the current Russian coach.
Check out the rest of the results from UFC 280:
- Lightweight: Islam Makhachev def. Charles of Bronx via R2 submission
- Bantamweight: Aljamain Sterling def. TJ Dillashaw by submitting at R2
- Bantamweight: Sean O’Malley defeats Peter Yan by split decision
- Lightweight: Benil Driouch defeated Matthews Jamrow by unanimous decision
- Flyweight: Manon Furu defeated Catelyn Chukajian by unanimous decision
- Welterweight: Bilal Muhammad defeated Sean Brady by knockout in R2
- Middleweight: Cayo Boralho defeated Mahmud Muradov by unanimous decision
- Light Heavyweight: Nikita Krylov defeated Volkan Ozdemir by unanimous decision
- Lightweight: Abubakar Nurmagomedov defeated Gadzi Omargadzhiev by unanimous decision
- Middleweight: Armen Petrosyan defeated AJ Dobson by unanimous decision
- Flyweight: Muhammad Mokafe defeated Malcolm Gordon via submission
- Bantamweight: Carol Rosa defeated Lina Lansberg by majority decision